My absolute new obsession! Vegan (and soy free) sour cream. Thanks to my loving and supportive friend, Ginger, who gifted me with the book Oh She Glows, I now enjoy the most delicious (better than the dairy version!) cruelty-free sour cream. I can’t get enough of it. It’s not my recipe. You’ll find the recipe on page 281 of Oh She Glows by Angela Liddon.
- 1 cup (250 mL) raw cashews soaked over night. Use just enough water to soak them, but be sure not to drown them.
- 1/2 to 1 cup filtered water (less water will give you a thicker sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon, plus 1/8 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (I used 2, because I love the anything with vinegar)
- Drain and rinse cashews and transfer them to a blender with 1/2 to 1 cup water. I use the VitaMix. Remember, less water will result in a thicker consistency.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and blend on high speed until the cream is smooth.
- Taste, and add a pinch of salt if so desired.
- Transfer to a mason jar and cool in the fridge.
I use this recipe now in almost anything while I transition from a dairy and egg diet to a plant and nut based diet. Love, love, love it!!