After a long work week (found the perfect Miami luxury pet friendly rental for a client and his 100 pound dog today), it’s time to unwind, and enjoy what is sure to be a delightful weekend. There aren’t any vegan bakeries in Aventura (I’d travel to Hollywood, FL too), so I have resorted to trying one vegan baking recipe a week. Alas…. these gorgeous and yummy Middle Eastern cookie (see above picture). SUPER EASY to make. You don’t have to have a penchant for baking to pull these off. I used to different fillings for my cookies, but feel free to use one or all. Up to your palate!
Ingredients and Directions:
- 3 cups of self rising flour (unbleached)
- 1 stick of vegan butter (I use the soy free kind I find at my local health food store)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Date paste
- Homemade jam (use the store kind if you have too, but making your own is super easy and much healthier – not to mention won’t have preservatives or as much sugar)
- Vegan Nutella or vegan chocolate spread (If you live in S. Florida, just hop over to your local Kosher market and ask for a Parve chocolate spread)
- Incorporate all ingredients. Adding the water a bit a time so you don’t burn yourself. Hot water works best, but doesn’t have to be boiling water. With your hands knead away. Knead some more, and just a little bit more, until you have formed a dough ball in your hand that’s not sticky. If it is, no worries, just add a tiny bit of flour and that should solve it for you.
- On a clean counter top or large cutting board, place your dough, and divide it into 2 or three balls (depending on which fillings you will be using – you could make three of these and give one away to your neighbor or someone you really like). Lightly flour your baking roller, and knead each ball down in a flat position.
- Now you’re ready to fill in your favorites… For one of them I used date paste. The other, I used a homemade vegan Nutella, and for the third one I used a copious amount of homemade jam (took me 10 minutes to make).
- Roll up each dough (sealing along the long side and ends).
- Make about an inch to inch and half of diagonal piercing (just look at the photo above, you’ll see what I mean) through each roll. Don’t cut all the way to the end. Just make enough of a diagonal cross pierce to allow for an air pocket.
- Bake at 180 · C or 350 · F, until golden brown (20-25 minutes depending on your oven). Make sure to line your backing sheet with baking paper.
- Allow to cool for a bit (when their still warm to the touch but NOT hot) and lightly sprinkle powdered sugar, and cut into individual cookies (follow the diagonal pierce you made)
- and VOILA! their ready to serve. I serve them with fresh mint tea.
Enjoy! Who said vegans don’t enjoy themselves? It’s the weekend, live it up.